Tourism is a significant industry in Tanzania’s economy. For instance in the year 2018, the contribution of travel and tourism to GDP (% of GDP) of the United Republic of Tanzania was 11.7 %. Tourism investment is a profitable business to investors, local community and the government.
Apart from investing in hotels and establishing travel agencies, the government of Tanzania came out with other opportunities in tourism sector which have not been fully explored compared to some other African countries like South Africa. This is Wildlife Ranching.
Wildlife Ranch is defined by Regulation 3 of the Wildlife Regulations of 2020, to mean an area of a minimum size of 2000 hectares kept for the purpose of a multiform utilization of wildlife, where a wide range of consumptive or non-consumptive complementary wildlife uses are managed.
GENERAL REQUIREMENTS TO SUCCESSFULLY REGISTER A WILDLIFE RANCH IN TANZANIA
The nature of the proposed land and the size of land
Take cognizance that, wildlife Ranch can only be established in either of the following areas;
- areas outside any reserved/conservation area, or
- village land but in conformity to the land use plan or written approval from the relevant local authority and or
- In any controlled area.
On top of that, such proposed nature of the land above, it must be of not less than 2000 hectares.
Registration requirements and criteria used to register a Wildlife Ranch
- That the applicant is a rightful holder of the right of occupancy proposed for wildlife ranching
- That the applicant is a citizen of Tanzania in case of individual applicant.
- In case the applicant is corporate body (company for example), then at least 51% of the shares in the company are held by citizens of Tanzania
- That the proposed wildlife ranching conforms to the land use plan of the area or the use is approved by the relevant local authority.
- The business plan relates to the proposed undertaking
- That environmental impact assessment certificate has been issued
- That applicant is prepared to mark each specimen of the species as per the prescribed procedure
- That applicant has paid Application and Registration fees.
- That applicant has complied with other requirements as shall be considered necessary by the Director General of Wildlife Utilization.
Once all the requirements are confirmed and verified the Certificate of Registration will be issued and normally this certificate is valid for the period of 10 years and it is subject to renewal basing on the terms and conditions.
Registration of Wildlife Ranch is a complex and technical process which needs the highest expertise and diligence. Victory Attorneys & Consultants are experts on this area as they guide various clients on registration of Wildlife Ranch in Tanzania.